24.5.09

heavy leeches

do you believe in soulmates?

last evening, i went swimming in the ocean. and as my head bobbed out of the water, i saw that the horizon was slanted 30 degrees counter-clockwise. and you were lying on the horizon like a hammock suspended in space,your face relaxed, blissful. you turned to look at me, got off your hammock and swam towards me. i see your head and then i dont, i see you and then i dont. where were you and where were you headed? you were not coming closer nor moving further. did i not see you swim towards me?

do you believe in soulmates? i don't.

once, i felt your hand on my calf, you lifted me above the water,yourself buried. i squealed in surprise. the air unsalty and fresh; a pedestal, for once, above all my heavy misery that clung to my bikini like 10-pound leeches. you brought to me a breath of fresh air in a moment of strength and self sacrifice. but i sank back.

the inevitability of gravity. the bitch of sin. i sank back into my black, dark yet familiar ocean. you looked at me expectantly, "did i make you happy?", your eyes asked; your lips reached forward for a kiss of gratitude. yes. yes. but no, it dissipated, like you, too, will dissipate.

i see you and then i don't. you swam back to your hammock, laid on it, smiling. and faded into the sunset.

do you believe in soulmates? i don't.
you make me so happy, so new. but in this ocean, everyone drowns.

No comments: