17.10.09

Rain

Not so hot as this for a hundred years.
You were where I was going. I was in tears.

I surrendered my heart to the judgement of my peers.


A century's heat in the garden, fierce as love.

You returned on the day I had to leave.

I mimed the full, rich, busy life i had to live.


Hotter than hell. I burned for you day and night;

got bits of your body wrong, bits of it right,

in the huge mouth of the dark, in the bite of the light.


I planted a rose, burnt orange, the colour of flame,

gave it the last of the water, gave it your name.

It flared back at the sun in a perfect rhyme.


Then the rain came, like stammered kisses at first

on the back of my neck. I unfurled my fist

for the rain to caress with its lips. I turned up my face,


and water flooded my mouth, baptised my head,

and the rainclouds gathered like midnight overhead,

and the rain came down like a lover comes to a bed.

Carol Ann Duffy

4 comments:

Satta Matka said...

Excellent Post. Thanks for Sharing... Kindly visit us @ Satta Matka | Kalyan Matka

alishba said...

Thanks for sharing

info asik said...


samput piala DUNIA DI SINI

SS Vermicompost Industry said...

I like this post. So Nice... Organic Manure in Chennai